Saturday, March 25, 2006

rare, hand colored etchings


I like to color the imperfect prints that are pullled from an edition. It makes the anomolies even more unique. Usually I just save them for friends or special events.

this one is really special to me. I made a drawing, a painting, an etching, and now this hand colored etching of this spot in Corciano, Italy. It is the ancient retaining wall that holds up the hill; the hill upon which a Monastery sits. We could see it from the roof of the studios. Being jet lagged for the first week, I was often up before dawn, so sat on the studio roof and watched this scene emerge from the night's darkness into the warm light of Umbrian morning in September. There really are a set of olive trees that stand out a little bit, in a cross. I just gave them a little bit more of that orange glow from the sun that shines so intensely in the summer. Two of the etchings are colored like this, and two are colored with a more yellow hue that reflects the late summer dry season.

a small "grabby" wave. I like the summer. I love getting out of the water and walking around on the soft, green grass in my bare feet after boating. Someone mentioned that this looked like a plant, so I decided to surround the wave with green grass. This is the only one that is colored.

river water is rarely blue. It is often brown, ochre, green; almost every color EXCEPT blue. This, too, is the only colored version of this etching. It is called "haystack". That is what some people call standing waves that jump straight up into the air, seemingly out of nowhere. I imagine that the first person to give this type of wave the name "haystack" had seen paintings by VanGogh of farm workers harvesting wheat or hay. (or they, themselves, could have been a farmer)

have you ever gone surfing in the moon's light?

No comments: