Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Vallecito Lake Panoramic Photo




http://www.thepanoawards.com/

The story of this image goes back two winters.  I bought a pair of snowshoes while in Colorado between semesters.  The lake was low, so I could do a lot of stomping around on flatter land while I got used to the altitude.  The snow was bad; granular corn snow that slid easily.  I set my sights on this peak and took two days (about 2 hours each day) to blaze a switchback trail up this 45 degree pitch, having to backtrack a few times to either find more stable snow or a path around some piles of burned trees (left over from the 2002 fire).  On the third day I just decided to push through.  It took me 40 minutes to get up the blazed trail, and another 2 1/2 hours to finish the trip through the fresh snow.  I got to spend a half hour at the peak, but as you can see by the light in the photo, the sun was setting and I had to almost run down to get back to the truck before it was completely dark.

No comments: