Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Expanded and revised edition of book planned.

I must admit to rushing to publish Making Photogravures With Polymer Plates.  I was only motivated to publish the book because about a dozen people had requested my workflow after seeing prints.  Honestly, I thought the book would only sell 30 copies.  I felt like I was writing notes to friends, not really writing a book.  This is why I kept it as a print on demand black and white book, and why the retail price was so low.  I'm tempted to use a large publisher for the new edition, but part of me is concerned that doing so would put the retail price out of reach for the average DIY artist (my intended audience).  

To my surprise, it has sold several hundred copies.  As a result, I feel that I should share what I have learned since publishing the first edition, as well as revise and expand the content.  The choice I face is to either do it fast, or take my time and do it right.  I am not in a rush.  The content is out there.  My workflow is published.  Others have published there workflows.  Do the research.  Take a workshop (which is more effective than any book or video can be).  Of course I teach workshops, but so does Dan WeldonClay HarmonPaul TaylorJosephine SacaboMark Nelson, (and more than I can remember immediately).

The images in the book (the current edition and future editions) are degraded by the printer.  Very few publishers have access to good printing.  Those that do, will not print high quality reproductions any where near the retail price that I want to keep this book.

The images on my blog are degraded by me, on purpose.  The highlights blow out and shadows block up because they are all converted to the smallest gamut possible (for web browsing).  It helps me protect my intellectual property.  Also, most people who read this do not have a calibrated monitor, so would not see all the subtlety anyway.  And, seeing art in person is far more important than looking at jpegs on a computer screen (no matter how high the resolution or how wide the gamut).

Kind of a random rant, I know.  But, I like to share what is going on with the few people who read this blog.  And, those who have used the email address in the first edition of the book have learned how much I am willing to share what I have learned and clarify what might not be clear in the text.  It will remain active as long as people are polite and it doesn't get filled with spam.  In the mean time, I'll continue to make and show my own art, with the hopes that you all are doing the same.  The new edition is just a statement of intent right now.  I don't know how long it will take.


No comments: