Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Thesis installation views

This is how I set up my show for my thesis in April 2005. I had changed directions radically just 5 weeks before this show. Wishing I had more time, but realizing that I did not, I spent at least one all nighter each week leading up to this installation painting and planning. I think that the motion in each piece reflects that frantic rush to express something.
The paintings were hung very high making viewing them a bit uncomfortable. (the bottom of the paintings are about 48" off the floor) The mood of this corner was fast and turbulent. A perfect reproduction of the impression of floating in the middle of a raging river. ALMOST over your head, but still manageable.

It was fun to watch everyone gravitate towards this painting, which I call "seduction". It still has the motion, turbulence, and speed of a churning river, but the colors leaned a little more to the pastel side. It is like reflected sunrise. The motion is one type of peak experience, and the color is another; the kinesthetic effect that sunrise colors have on me.


These were the most high-key, brightest, most annoying paintings. Again, hung high so it feels like they are going to fall on the viewer. I noticed that people didn't want to get too close to them. It was perfect. They blocked the way out. Like running a river in my boat, the audience has to pass by some unsettling things to find a way through to the calm of the prints in the lobby.


This was in the back, and what drew people in. A small slice of the color spectrum that promises to be pleasant and fun. Non threatening, allowing curiousity.

It's really a waterfall of prints (which are a bird's eye/ boater's eye view of a waterfall). Upon closer inspection, the nice colors are betrayed (or "balanced" as one person said) by the frenetic motion within each image. Additionally, frantic pencil marks are scrawled on the wall that mimick the speed of falling water.

I made sure that the floor was really clean under this piece so the available reflection would evoke both a calm pool of water and an implied continuation beneath the surface. We see water fall, then plunge into a pool, but do not realize just how deep it can go.

No comments: