Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dam Stairs (updated)



This is the first version of this photogravure (km73 polymer).  It's a little flat for my taste so I have reworked the digital version.  I like how dark it is, and think that the problem is that I applied the normal adjustment curve to an image that doesn't have many subtle gradients.  I think that the new transparency will have very little adjustment curve (just a bit to keep a separation between 80 & 90%).  High contrast and scratchy is the aesthetic of this industrial image so the characteristics of the sensitive KM73 plate will be perfect for it.
 
-------------------------------------
Update August 1, 2013
 
Different transparency, different UV exposure unit with different times, different (new) plate makes lots of difference....  ; )
 

This is good because the original capture (and what pulled me to take the photo) showed the linear highlights that danced around a dingy environment.  It was like an low-key HDR image right in front of me, in real life, without a bunch of digital tweaking.  I suppose that industrial settings can do that.
 

No comments: